Balsicas is a relatively large village only 12 kilometres inland from the Mar Menor. The village contains a mixture of old and new, which means there is plenty to look at as you wander around, stopping in the lovely park and seeing the asymmetric church. The old castle is sometimes open and is a real treasure trove of antique pieces, like massive doors, huge fireplaces and many other old objects. The weekly street market is held every Thursday afternoon and the train line connects Cartagena to Murcia, so offers some great day out possibilities.
Trains run everyday from here; south to Torre Pacheco and Cartagena and north to the city of Murcia and beyond, all the way to France if you really want a long journey!!
If the iron and wooden gates are open within the castle walls you can walk in and take a look around Ros Castle. The Spanish speaking caretaker is often only too pleased to show you all the beautiful reclaimed furniture including rocking horses, cribs, doors and tables.
Places of interest & ideas of things to do in Balsicas
- Village Centre: lovely park, church and selection of shops, bars and restaurants.
- Market: medium Thursday afternoon
- Train Station: trains to the cities of Cartagena and Murcia.
- Ros Castle: beside the church, if it is open go in and meet the caretaker.
Ideas of places to twin Balsicas with day or night
- Catch a train to the city of Cartagena (the train station is opposite the main tourist office in the city) and visit some of its interesting museums, follow our Cartagena city walking route or relax beside the marina. After returning to Balisicas have a refreshing cerveza or vino in one of the bars before returning home.
- Enjoy a Thursday morning relaxing on the beach, walking along the promenade or having a drink at any of the marinas around the Mar Menor, then spend the afternoon browsing the medium sized market and getting to know Balsicas, perhaps pop into the castle if the gates are open.
- Twin a visit here with a stop at the tiny villages of Sucina or Avileses or the larger town of Torre Pacheco.