La Manga Strip
The La Manga Strip is a piece of land that separates the Mediterranean Sea from the Mar Menor. La Manga is Spanish for sleeve and aptly describes this 21 kilometre long, 300 metre wide spit. It is a great place to visit at any time of the year; during the summer when it is very busy or during the winter when it is very quiet, with most establishments are closed.
The strip encloses the Mar Menor which directly translates as the small sea, although it is the largest lagoon in Europe. It has a surface area of 130 square kilometres and a maximum depth of 8 metres. The crystal clear waters are warm, calm and rich in salts and minerals, in fact the temperature never falls below 18 degrees.
All along the Strip on both sides, there are beautiful beaches with white sands, rocky outcrops, marinas and plenty of watersport schools. A great selection of bars, cafes, restaurants, hotels and tourist shops amongst other facilities line the road. There is an impressive marina, called the Tomas Maestre Marina where you can sit and admire the boats, as well as a couple of boat trip options across the Mar Menor or out to the Mediterranean Sea.
Places of interest and ideas of things to do in La Manga Strip
- High Street: runs the full length of the Strip with commercial centres at intervals on both sides of the road.
- Beaches: on both sides of the Strip, there is over 44 kilometres of sand to choose from!
- Promenades: there are a number of promenades along the beaches.
- Marina Tomas Maestre: large marina with parade of cafes, bars and restaurants.
- Boat Trips: the B&F Ferry operates all year round across the Mar Menor to Santiago de la Ribera, Solaz Lines operates during the summer only, across the Mar Menor to Los Alcazares and three other tours.
Ideas of places to twin La Manga Strip with day or night
- Start your day with a stop at Punta Brava for a morning coffee. Soak up the amazing vistas from its viewpoint across the lagoon towards the Strip and behind to the mountains of the Sierra Mineras. Then head to La Manga and explore all that the Strip has to offer.
- At the very end of La Manga Strip is the 9 hole pitch and put Veneziola Golf Course. Enjoy a game of golf in the morning and then relax on any of La Manga's fine sandy beaches.
- Take a stroll along the main road with runs the full 21 kilometres along the strip. You'll find commercial centres along both sides. Then try one of the boat trips across the Mar Menor or out into the waters of the Mediterranean Sea.