- Costa Blanca South
- Costa Blanca North
- Costa Calida
Day Out Mazarron Area
Mazarron is situated in the Costa Calida which is the name for the coastal area of the province of Murcia, all 250km of it! Costa Calida directly translates as the warm coast and is so called because of the hot mean annual temperatures and the limited rainfall of only 34cm per year!
The route is all about getting to know the area and its towns, ports, coastline and mountains. We have put together a full day out with six stops as a taster, but you might like to spend longer in each place.
It starts with a journey along the toll road, guaranteed to be quiet as most locals like to avoid paying them. The first stop is at the historic old town of Mazarron for a bit of exploring and a coffee. Afterwards it is a short drive to the coast to see the amazingly weird sand sculptures of Bolnuevo. The view point, above the beach, gives you a clear idea of the rockiness of the Costa Calidas coastline. Then it is onto the Port of Mazarron, for a stroll beside the marina. A stop at Isla Plana for the short promenade, church and quaint harbour. More scenery as you leave and enter the mountain pass in the direction of Cartagena, pausing at the viewpoint before heading home.
You can easily add a stop at the marina in the coastal city of Cartagena or, as you start the mountain pass slip off to the Cartagena Guns at Cabo Tinoso, the choice is yours!
Places to stop during a day out Mazarron area
- Mazarron Inland Town: a traditional village with interesting streets to explore, some noteworthy places of interest such as the Veles Castle, La Purisma convent and the San Andres Church as well as a selection of cafes and bars.
- Bolnuevo Sand Sculptures: cliffs that have been eroded by the weather to produce weirdly shaped sculptures.
- Bolnuevo Viewpoint: great views of the rugged coastline.
- Mazarron Coastal Town & Marina: beautiful marina, many beaches, cafes and restaurants.
- Isla Plana: promenade, roman remains, church and picturesque harbour.
- Sierra de la Muela Viewpoint: on the mountain pass with great views back to Mazarron Port